Are you thinking of building your own garden wall? It’s possible to pick up this project yourself. While sometimes it makes sense to call in the experts – especially if we’re not accustomed to taking charge of DIY around the home – if you think you can do a job yourself then why not go for it?
After all, you wouldn’t be alone in trying your hand at a renovation project. With hardware and home improvement stores worth an estimated £14.5 billion, it’s clear we’re a nation of DIY enthusiasts.
However, if your retaining wall is going to be higher than 600mm or you’re building any wall over 900mm, you’ll need to speak to a professional. If you’re feeling ready to build your garden wall, follow these tips.
Table of Contents
Get the foundations right
The first stage of building a small garden wall is to focus on the foundations. This is a crucial base for your wall, and it must be durable as you want your wall to be safe.
Start by digging a trench. Ideally, this needs to be 300mm wide and 200mm deep. The blocks that will form your wall will need to sit in the center, so make sure this is even by using a sprit level. To mark up your trench and make sure that it’s consistently deep enough, use wooden pegs and string.
When you’re happy with your trench, mix up your concrete. Usually, this is one part cement to six parts ballast, but you might need to check these quantities.
Invest in the right equipment
Having the right equipment is key to getting this right. Some essentials include a tape measure, spirit level and concrete mixer, along with timber and mortar. Tools needed include a bolster chisel, hammer, brick trowel and brick jointer, plus you might need hole saws and core drill bits like these here if you want to pass metal or wood through holes in the wall. Make sure you invest in PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) like gloves and safety goggles too.
Build in stages
You’ll need to build one course at a time. This takes time but it allows you to keep everything in order as you go.
Run a length of string along the foundations, end to end. Then, take a trowel and spread the mortar over the foundations and over the blocks that you’re going to use for each course. The mortar should bulge slightly from between the joints, and you can use your trowel to remove anything left over.
For vertical joints, apply mortar to one end of the block before placing it next to the previous block. Keep checking with a spirit level.
These are the very basics for building your wall. If you’re ever unsure, seek professional help to make sure you’re on the right track. Take the time to keep checking and remember to make sure you keep things even at every stage.
Can you build a garden wall yourself?
It’s possible to build a garden wall yourself, but it’s not recommended unless you have experience with masonry. If you’re not experienced, it’s best to hire a professional to build the wall for you.
Otherwise, you run the risk of damaging your property or injuring yourself. Building a garden wall is a challenging task that requires careful planning and execution. If you’re not up for the challenge, it’s best to leave it to the professionals.
What is the cheapest way to build a wall?
This is a question that many people ask when they are looking to improve the security of their home or business. There are a number of different options available, but it is important to choose the one that best suits your needs.
One of the cheapest ways to build a wall is to use pre-fabricated panels. These panels are made from a variety of materials, but the most common is concrete. Pre-fabricated panels are easy to install and do not require special skills or tools. They can be cut to fit any size opening and can be installed in a matter of hours.
Another cheap way to build a wall is to use recycled materials. Recycled materials can be used to create a variety of different types of walls, including brick, stone, and even metal. These materials are often very strong and can provide excellent security. However, they may not be as aesthetically pleasing as other options.
The best way to determine which is the cheapest way to build a wall is to compare the cost of the materials and the time required to install them. In most cases, pre-fabricated panels will be the cheapest option. However, if you are willing to invest the time to install recycled materials, you may be able to save a significant amount of money.
What blocks to use for garden walls?
The most common type of block used for garden walls is the concrete block. Concrete blocks are strong and durable, making them ideal for use in garden walls.
They are also relatively inexpensive, which makes them a good option for those on a budget. Other types of blocks that can be used for garden walls include brick, stone, and even wood.
Does a garden wall need foundations?
In most cases, yes. Garden walls are typically made of brick, stone, or concrete, and these materials are very heavy. Without a solid foundation, the weight of the wall can cause it to crack or even collapse.
There are a few exceptions, however. If your garden wall is only a few feet tall and is made of lightweight materials such as wood or plastic, you may be able to get away with not having a foundation. But even in these cases, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and build a strong foundation just to be safe.
How to build a garden wall with blocks
1. Choose the right block for your wall. Garden walls can be constructed from a variety of different types of blocks, so it’s important to select the right material for your specific needs. For instance, if you’re looking for a more decorative wall, you may want to choose bricks or stones that are designed specifically for garden walls. If you’re more interested in functionality, however, you may want to choose blocks that are designed for strength and durability.
2. Clear the area where you’ll be building your wall. Before you start building your garden wall, it’s important to clear the area where it will be located. This means removing any plants, weeds, or other debris that might get in the way.
3. excavate a trench for your wall. Once you’ve cleared the area, you’ll need to excavate a trench for your garden wall. The depth and width of the trench will depend on the size of the blocks you’re using, so be sure to consult your chosen product’s instructions.
4. Prepare the foundation for your garden wall. Once you’ve excavated the trench, you’ll need to prepare the foundation for your garden wall. This typically involves adding gravel and tamping it down to create a stable base.
5. Begin laying your blocks. Once the foundation is prepared, you can begin laying your blocks. Start at one end of the trench and work your way to the other, using mortar to secure each block in place.
6. Finish up your garden wall. Once all of the blocks are in place, you’ll need to finish up your garden wall by adding a capstone or two at the top. This will help protect the wall from weather damage and provide a finished look.
How to build a garden wall with bricks
Building a garden wall with bricks is a great way to add some privacy and security to your home. It can also be a great way to add some visual interest to your yard or garden. Follow these steps to build a garden wall with bricks.
1. Choose the location for your garden wall. You will want to choose a spot that is level and has good drainage.
2. Clear the area where your garden wall will go. Remove any grass, weeds, or other vegetation from the area.
3. Dig a trench for your garden wall. The trench should be about 8 inches wide and 18 inches deep.
4. Line the trench with gravel. This will help with drainage.
5. Lay your first course of bricks in the trench. Make sure that the bricks are level and evenly spaced.
6. Continue laying courses of bricks until your garden wall is the desired height.
7. Fill in the gaps between the bricks with mortar.
8. Allow the mortar to dry completely before using or walking on the garden wall.